Announcing a Very Special Event:
3rd Annual Axemen Athletics Hall of Fame
April 20, 2013
|Where:||Lane Community College; Center for Meeting and Learning|
|When:||Saturday April 20th, 2013; 6:00 – 9:00pm|
|Tickets:||Secure ordering now online here: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/340085
Available in person at the school main office.
|Prices:||$60.00 per plate; sponsored table for 8 - $1,000|
- Duane Mellem, Coach, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Golf, 1941-1976
- Mike Johnson, Football, Basketball, Baseball, 1966
- Diane Smith, Field Hockey, Volleyball, Basketball, 1972
- Jeff Hess, Cross Country & Track & Field, 1979
- Jenny Campbell, Volleyball, Basketball, Tennis, 1987
- Blake Stepp, Basketball, 2000
- 1961 Baseball Team
- Ken Morrow, Meritorious Service
Secure ordering now online here: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/340085
Available in person at the school main office.
Purpose of the Event:
- To inspire student-athletes by showing them examples of dedication, teamwork, successes, competitive spirit and excellence from athletes and coaches who have come before them.
- To recognize high quality athletic achievement, coaching, and service to Axemen athletics by identifying those from the past who exemplify the dedication, character, and achievement of the highest levels of sport at Eugene High and South Eugene High, and as community leaders.
- To raise money for the Athletic Department of South Eugene High School in two ways; for current operating funds to support the next year’s teams, and for a permanent endowment to support the quality student-athlete experience and quality and continuity of coaching for all Axemen athletic teams. We need to end our dependence upon tax-based athletic funding.
Axemen Athletics Hall of Fame Selection Committee, Honorees, and Process:
Board of Directors:
Daniel Ambrose ‘73
Travis Johnson '76
Dinner Planning Committee:
Daniel Ambrose (Sponsors + Publicity)
For Nomination Form (PDF) click here
2012 Axemen Athletics Hall of Fame Inductees
- Hank Kuchera, Basketball Coach, 1944 – 71
- Nan Wilcox, Multiple Sport Coach, 1953 – 83
- Mike Moran, Basketball, 1955
- Bruce Hoyt, Gymnastics, 1968
- Judy Shirk, Gymnastics, 1970
- Mark Feig, Track & Cross Country, 1972
- Dan Wilken, Football, Basketball, Baseball Track, 1981
- Mark Quinney, Tennis, 1988
- Jeff Quinney, Golf, 1997
- Megan Nelson, Soccer, Basketball, Track, 2000
- Boys Soccer Team, 1998
- Nate Jaqua - Soccer - 2000
- John Beckett - Football - 1912
- Charlie Warren - Basketball - 1958
- Katy Polansky - Track - 2000
- Craig Brigham - Multi-sport - 1972
- Bill McChesney - Track - 1977
- Casey Martin - Golf - 1990
- Randy Robinson - Wrestling - 1973
- Cindy Marks Rahm - Swimming/Diving - 1971
- Karen Meats - Field Hockey - 1964
- Don Jackson - Community Service - 1976
- 1987 Girls Basketball Team
- 1971 Boys Track Team
2010 Honoree: Harry Johnson, Coach of 25 State Championship teams in 15 years
2009 Honoree: Bob Hanes, Gymnastics, Track, and volunteer coach
Axemen Athletics Silent Auction
During the cocktail hour preceding the dinner, will raise money to support all athletics at South Eugene. If you wish to contribute a to the Silent Auction contact Dan Ambrose, here: DanielMAmbrose@ambro.com. All contributions must meet the criteria set by the Silent Auction committee for suitability and value.
All sports teams – including club teams – at South may raise money by selling table sponsorships for $1,000. Tables seat 8, and the total cost of the sponsorship is $1,000. Of that, $600 will go directly to the team of the sponsor's choice. Contact Dan Ambrose for table sponsorship forms here: DanielMAmbrose@ambro.com
The first two Hall of Fame dinners raised $37,000 to begin an endowment to support the quality of athletic experiences for student athletes. The endowment is to be managed by the Oregon Community Foundation, and the use of the proceeds is overseen by the Axemen Athletics Hall of Fame Board of Directors.
Governance of the Hall of Fame
The Axemen Athletics Hall of Fame is governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the Principal – Randy Bernstein. Some members of the Board of Directors also serve – when appointed by the Principal on the Selection Committee along with other appointees. Selection of Hall of Fame honorees are recommended by the Selection Committee and approved by the Board of Directors.
Hall of Fame Display, PR and Communications Committee
Working with the Selection Committee and the Athletic Director, this committee will develop materials about the selected honorees for use on the Internet and in the Hall of Fame display in the Gym Lobby. The committee will also develop other content communications about the school, the honorees, and the induction event.
VOLUNTEERS and SPONSORS NEEDED and WELCOME!
CONTACT: Dan Ambrose – DanielMAmbrose@ambro.com
Thank you for supporting Axemen Athletics past, present and future!